In 2018 I intend to do less:
Less judging myself for how I feel when I’m too tired or anxious to meet up with friends, when I can’t function how I’m supposed to function, when it all gets a bit too much.
- work on pausing regularly, listening in and recognising my feelings
- continue to meditate a few times a week
- keep up with mindfulness practices
Less putting the needs of others before my own needs. Less apologising for how I feel, even if at times those feelings are irrational and don’t make sense to me or anyone else.
- focus on positive thinking and practice self-compassion
- set boundaries with myself and others
- be selfish
Less pressuring myself for not getting enough work done, for not being creative enough, for not having this adult life stuff figured out.
- remember my past achievements more objectively
- reflect regularly on the great things I have done, instead of focusing on what I haven’t achieved yet
- remind myself of the things I’m grateful for
Less mindless consumerism and impulse buying of things I don’t really need to make myself feel better.
- think before buying, and don’t give in to spontaneous purchases
- buy second hand clothes where possible and de-clutter regularly to see what I actually own
- invest in experiences rather than material things
Less consumption of entertainment that reinforces tired old stereotypes and ideas, or that is solely created by white men.
- reassess my youtube viewing habits, cutting down on make up & beauty channels that only promote consumerism
- diversify my viewing/reading/listening habits to include more works by women of colour
- stay better informed on current political issues